A vehicle left running in an attached garage caused a buildup of carbon monoxide in a Westwood townhouse Sunday morning, says the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS).
The incident, which sent one person to hospital in unstable condition, spread the poisonous gas throughout neighbouring suites as well.
3 sent to hospital after carbon monoxide exposure at Winnipeg home
WFPS crews were able to ventilate all of the suites to make them safe for residents.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless gas that can cause flu-like symptoms, dizziness and confusion, nausea, vision and hearing loss.
The city released the following tips for preventing carbon monoxide exposure:
When can you get your 2nd COVID-19 dose? Here’s where the provinces stand
Here’s what you need to know about Canada’s new home retrofit program
• Have fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, wood-burning fireplaces and gas dryers cleaned and checked annually by a qualified service technician.
• Install a carbon monoxide alarm on all levels of your home, ensuring one is located close to the sleeping area where it will awaken the occupants when they are asleep.
• Never idle vehicles in an attached garage, even if the garage door is open.
• Ensure that all fresh air…